Who is Richard G. Klein?
I am a Freud-Lacan scholar, former contributing editor for Lacanian Ink, former associate editor of the Lacanian journal, Journal of European Psychoanalysis. I was also the researcher and bibliographer for the books: Freud and the Invention of Jewishness as well as Lacan in the German-speaking World.
My bibliography of Lacan’s writings translated into English is used by psychoanalytic scholars throughout the world.
Email: rgklein21 -at- gmail.com
Bilingual Texts of Freud and Lacan
I have produced and disseminated bilingual texts of Freud consisting of the original text of Freud in German with the English translation appearing side-by-side on the same page. This allows scholars to see at once various conscious and unconscious mis-translations and distortions of Freud’s texts in English.
Not only are certain words mis-translated: verb tenses have been changed, word order sometimes has been significantly altered, and surprisingly, paragraph breaks have been introduced that do not exist in the original German text.
Psychoanalysis deals with transliterations, transcriptions, and translations of at least two or more versions of the same text—one being the “original” and the others being the censored, repressed, or distorted versions. May we suggest that having two or more versions of the same text in front of us is the psychoanalytic way to go about reading and studying Freud?
When reading Freud in English, have you sometimes wondered: What exactly did Freud write in the original German? What is the best translation of a particular text of Freud? Now—without much effort—you may answer these questions for yourself—simply by glancing to the right to read the German version of the English translation.
3 Fundamental Texts of Freud on the Play of the Signifier
- The complete bilingual of THE INTERPRETATION OF DREAMS and ON DREAMS
- THE PSYCHOPATHOLOGY OF EVERYDAY LIFE (Zur Psychopathologie des Alltagslebens)
- JOKES AND THEIR RELATION TO THE UNCONSCIOUS (Der Witz und seine Beziehung zum Unbewußten)
- Freud: On Coca. (Über Coca.)
- Hysteria (Hysterie), and Hystero-Epilepsy (Hysteroepilepsie)—1888 entries in Villaret’s Handwörterbuch
- Freud: The Case of Olga Schreinburg [Nina R.] trilingual, (not in the S.E.)
- Creative Writers & Day-Dreaming (Der Dichter und das Phantasieren)
- Negation (Die Verneinung)
- The Complete Freud-Fliess Correspondence (bilingual), pt. I
- Letter 52/112 (Dec 6, 1896) to Wilhelm Fliess
- PROJECT FOR A SCIENTIFIC PSYCHOLOGY (1895)
- THREE ESSAYS ON SEXUALITY (Drei Abhandlungen zur Sexualtheorie)
- My Views on the Part Played by Sexuality in the Aetiology of the Neuroses (Meine Ansichten Über die Rolle der Sexualität in der Ätiologie der Neurosen)
- On the Sexual Theories of Children (Über infantile Sexualtheorien)
- Some Psychical Consequences of the Anatomical Distinction Between the Sexes (Einige psychische Folgen des anatomischen Geschlechtsunterschieds)
- The Infantile Genital Organization (Die infantile Genitalorganisation)
- INHBITIONS (Part I), SYMPTOMS AND ANXIETY (Part II)
- The Psychogenesis of a Case of Homosexuality in a Woman
- Female Sexuality, Femininity (Lecture XXXIII)
- Analysis Terminable and Interminable (Die endliche und die unendliche Analyse)
- Constructions in Analysis (Konstruktionen in der Analyse)
- On Narcissism: An Introduction prefaced with critical notes about Strachey’s translation
- BEYOND THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE
- Neurosis and Psychosis and The Loss of Reality in Neurosis
- Fetishism and Splitting of the Ego in the Process of Defense
- ‘A Child is Being Beaten’ (‘Ein Kind wird geschlagen’) and Anna Freud’s Beating Fantasies & Daydreams
- A Case of Paranoia Running Counter to the Psycho-Analytic Theory of the Disease (Mitteilung eines der psychoanalytischen Theorie widersprechenden Falles von Paranoia)
- The Case of Schreber (Fall von Paranoia)
- Schreber’s MEMOIRS OF MY NERVOUS ILLNESS with Lacan’s intro to the French translation. Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
- FROM THE HISTORY OF AN INFANTILE NEUROSIS [The Wolfman]
- Muriel Gardiner: The Wolfman
- Freud’s Presentation and Remarks on the Ratman Case to the Vienna Psychoanalytic Society, 1907-8
- NOTES UPON A CASE OF OBSESSIONAL NEUROSIS [The Ratman]
- SESSIONS 1-7 OF FREUD’S ORIGINAL RECORD OF THE CASE [bilingual] not in the S.E.
- ADDENDUM: ORIGINAL RECORD OF THE CASE [The Ratman]
- FRAGMENTS OF AN ANALYSIS OF A CASE OF HYSTERIA, 1905 (Bruchstűck einer Hysterie-Analyse) (Dora)
- Dora’s Dreams: In Whose Voice — Strachey’s, Freud’s or Dora’s? by C. Edward Robins
- ANALYSIS OF A PHOBIA IN A FIVE-YEAR-OLD BOY [Little Hans]
- Interview with Herbert Graf (Little Hans)
- Screen Memories (Über Deckerinnerungen)
- Some Neurotic Mechanisms in Jealousy, Paranoia and Homosexuality (Über einige neurotische Mechanismen bei Eifersucht, Paranoia und Homosexualität)
- The Economic Problem of Masochism (Das ökonomische Problem des Masochismus)
- The Dissolution of the Oedipus Complex (Der Untergang des Ödipuskomplexes)
I also have generated and edited numerous translations of Lacan’s writings and seminars, many of which I have turned into bilingual texts. I am currently working on a bilingual of the complete Écrits.
Translation of Freud’s Paper on Aphasia
Freud’s second paper on Aphasia, APHASIE/APHASIA appears for the first time in bilingual form based on a translation I have commissioned and edited.
A Diary or Chronology of Important Events in Freud’s Life
“Names of the Analysts”
I have put together an orderly listing—a genealogical chart—of “who analyzed whom” in the early, classic years of psychoanalysis. As a by-product of this project, I have provided an alphabetical list of over 200 of Freud’s patients.